Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Tutorial Time: How To Name Horses

Okay, okay, so you're probably thinking, I can name a horse. You're absolutely right! Anyone can name a horse but some people have a really hard time. I thought I would share some insight into how to name you plastic ponies and step it up from the breyer-given name. I do keep a name journal but there are those situations where none of those names really fit. Here's a few ideas,

1. Name a horse after a location, store or street name.
Galway
This is Galway named after a street in my grandparent's neighborhood.

2. Name a horse after his/her parents.
Real horse people do this a lot and I don't always do this when naming foals, but sometimes it creates a great name. This foal's dam is All Glory and his father is Leave No Shadow. The foal's name, Shadow Of Glory, barn name, Shady or Shad. (I have another Shadow somewhere else)
Little Shad!
This Missouri Fox Trotter is named Spinner or Spun By Gold because his father is Good As Gold.
Spinner
 3. Name a horse after a song.
This is only a sampling of my herd named after songs. It's a really good technique.
From back to front: Bonified Dancing Fool, Baton Rouge, Riptide
 4. Name a horse after a good memory.
This guy is Hollywood Mirror. He'll be getting his own post for lots of reasons, he has lots of story's to tell. However the story of his name is about the time my hobby/horse/best friend came to Chicago this October. We went to this funky costume shop called, Hollywood Mirror. We saw Blue Man Group, shopped at HM, shopped at Michael's for hobby stuff, had dinner and talked, and talked, and talked. It was awesome! It was also the first time we'd seen each other since Breyerfest, which was all the way in July! When I got home the next day I ended up buying this custom that I'd been watching for a while. I decided that he must be named Hollywood Mirror in honor of our fun day and our friendship. Long story but every time I look at him I remember that trip.
Hollywood Mirror
 4. Name a horse after a T.V. show or movie.
So this one's simple. The horse below is Delta Dawn. I don't know if there's a television show called that or a movie. It's actually about an episode of Friends, the episode "The One Where Monica Sings" for any one wondering. She sings "Delta Dawn" in it but other than that I've never even heard the song all the way through!
Delta Dawn


Duke Of Hazard
So there's my first tutorial! Hope you enjoyed! Let me know what you think and if you are going to (or if you have) used any of these tips. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Naming horses is fun, I used to keep a notebook where I'd write down any names that came to me - mostly song titles and such. Then when I had to name some horses, I could go through my pages of name ideas and find ones that fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! We named one of our horses Lexi because we bought her at Breyerfest 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's an awesome name!

      Delete